Monday, May 12, 2008

Springtime at the Gardens

I met up with a group of photographers from the Chicago Digital Photography Meetup Group on Saturday morning for a shoot at one of my favorite locations, the Chicago Botanic Gardens. I have a membership, and it's not exaggerating to state that once spring hits, I'm there at least once a week, if not more. Actually, even during the winter months, I hit the greenhouses two or three times a month. While I love photographing by myself, and having the chance to just be alone with my thoughts, it's been very rewarding and enjoyable to meet up with other photographers.

We split into smaller groups, and my group focused on macro work. While I was a bit limited, as I didn't bring my tripod, I was able to capture some lovely images of the spring blooms. I also had a lot of fun pushing myself beyond my normal comfort zone.

To begin, a few shots of tulips in the sensory garden (I love the wee little buggy on the first photo):





Next, a close up of some fungus and mold on a bench in the sensory garden:



And finally, the "outside my comfort zone" photograph. This look was achieved by stacking extension tubes on my lens. Because it was a hand-held shot, without tripod, none of it, even the petal tips, are really in focus. But, while it's not "me" at all, I really love the abstract look it created. It draws my attention to the gorgeous colors nature creates:

1 comment:

Salty Grapes said...

Gorgeous!! And I love the wee insect... =)