Wednesday, August 6, 2008

To Make a Prairie

"To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,
One clover, and a bee,
And revery.
The revery alone will do,
If bees are few."

~Emily Dickinson

On Sunday morning, I made a beeline (ha ha ha, get it?) for the Chicago Botanic Garden. My plan was to hit the evaluation gardens, an area I haven't visited much this summer. I didn't make this decision, however, until I was well into the gardens, so the fastest route was to cut through the prairie area. I visit the prairie area when I'm at the gardens without my camera (which is rare these days), and just visiting to walk and clear my head. It's usually not the most photogenic area of the gardens, and I really can't remember the last time I strolled through that particular section. I tend to gravitate towards macros and not sweeping landscapes, and I can find prairie plants just about anywhere, so I tend to spend my time in the various flower gardens.

I was glad I took the "shortcut" through the prairie area, though, when I came across this view:

No comments: