Sunday, March 30, 2008

Holy Trinity Cathedral

I had an amazing opportunity to photograph the interior of Holy Trinity Cathedral Orthodox Church in Chicago through my participation in a photography group. One of two Chicago churches designed by architect Louis Sullivan (the other being Pilgrim Baptist, which was almost completely destroyed in a fire in January 2006), both the interior and exterior are stunning.

I was a little embarrassed while shooting with the other photographers, mainly because I didn't seem interested in the same sorts of shots they were taking at all. I questioned my eye - was I missing something everyone else knew?

But when I unloaded my card, I was very pleased with what I was able to capture. I'm fascinated by details. By the little hidden secrets that I look for, wherever I shoot. And that's what I was able to capture. In such a dark and tiny church and my crop-sensor camera, I would have needed to rent a fast super-wide angle lens to capture the shots everyone else was trying for, and I'm glad I stuck with my gut, given the equipment I brought with me.

Here are a few of the details I was able to capture - I hope you enjoy them!





No comments: